Sunday, January 15, 2012

3AM

I wrote this recently thinking I would enter an AARP volunteerism contest. It turned out they wanted a different kind of story (and the stupid entry website just ate my homework when I tried to apply) so I gave up. The actual event happened about a year ago, but we just had two more 3AM fire calls -- on which I demurred response -- so I think it describes the job reasonably well...

When my pager goes off at 3AM I am, uncharacteristically, sleeping rather soundly: "Vehicle fire, intersection of (two streets near my home)". I grumble and think, "Ah, the go-getter kids will go-get this one". But in fact the (two streets near my home) are between me and my Fire Station, so it really is My Neighborhood that needs help. I stumble on some clothes, retain my slippers because it's either a false alarm or I'll have to don my full bunkers -- fire gear and boots -- anyway, and get out the door in under five minutes. A couple minutes later I'm at the specified intersection and find nothing of interest.  I radio this information to the dispatch center who reply, "The caller said at the end of (one of the streets near my home)". So.  Hmm. Maybe it's the _other_ end?

For the last five years I've been a volunteer firefighter in an area of Urban-Wildland Interface bisected by about 20 miles of Interstate Highway.  Our district covers 120 square miles and has a population of 6000 people.  The week after I signed on there was a multiple casualty highway accident involving a family of five. During the -- very detailed -- post incident review I thought, "You know, this might not be for me...". But through a series of fortuitous coincidences I persevered and now have Hazmat, Structural and Wildland Fire, and Medical First Responder certificates. I can also dismantle your car in about ten minutes if you are trapped inside.  And I can drive with Lights'n'Sirens. In my own Personally Operated Vehicle even.

This being Urban-Wildland Interface territory the other end of my street is a mile and a half away around two hills. I U-turn and head back whence I came. Other folks responding are reporting that they see flames somewhere near my hill. So this is a real fire. Someplace nearby.

About 50% of our calls are medical and 20% are fires that don't exist.  Two of the 300 fire alarm checks we've had in the last five years were actual fires. One was because the flue in the fireplace had fallen closed and the other was a pot of forgotten eggs boiling on the stove.  There have also been a few well-done Thanksgiving turkeys to deal with.  In those years we've lost two structures. One due to a wildland fire that took most of the County to control. Overall we've been very lucky.  Really.

Fire trucks are spreading out in a somewhat directed search pattern as I make my way through the hills to the other-end-of-the-street. At the end I find a pickup truck in flames, "Fully Involved". Coming closer I see a body face down on ground near the driver's side, twitching as if it were attached to an electric line. I think, "WTF? Gangs? Up Here?" But I have the presence of mind to get on the radio and report what I see, and more importantly: Where I am. Now at least everyone else can find us.

I join forces with another of our guys who followed me up the hill and drag the "patient" away from the burning vehicle. The fire is spreading to the surrounding brush so I return to my truck to direct the rest of the cavalry to the scene and get suited-up for battle.

Then I stand there for what seems like an hour wondering, "Where the 'heck' is everyone?"

Finally our fire engine arrives. I pull a hose line and extinguish the brush fire while others get geared up and deal with the vehicle. It's all over in a few moments. Discounting the panic.

The patient turned out to be one of our own guys who had, shall we say, over-extended himself and decided that his exit strategy should be immediate. In a moment of clarity he radioed-in the location of his fire, which our dispatchers then slightly misinterpreted. Our department's participation in his initial group therapy sessions kind of overwhelmed the counseling facility. But he's doing fine now.


No comments:

Post a Comment