Thursday, May 3, 2012

Turbulent Plans

I'm shuffling along with the Axle Contemporary installation...I built a 4x4' box to test out the fans and found that the one that tried to chop off my pinkie is in fact the bomb: 250 cfm at 40 watts!!! I need to get a few more -- along with the 12v 100Ah power supply I think might run them all. When I get them installed in the test box I'll post another little video clip.

To get some measurements for materials I've drawn up the basic plans for the truck. Here's the side view:
There is a 3x6' window in the back of the truck (on the right). I'll put a box of fans along the bottom of the window extending the width of the truck. Packing peanuts will be feed into the fan box from a ramp, currently estimated to be at about a 25deg slope, and the remainder of the truck will be covered with a screen to keep the peanuts, air, and fans in their appropriate places. Air flow will be as indicated by the cyan colored arrows. We Hope.

Here is a plan view, where the cab is at the top of the drawing with a pass-through door opening for maintenance access (speaking of which, in addition to having to cobble together two 4x8 sheets of ramp I need to make sure I can get in under there to fix stuff):
I'm planning to use 8 fans along the bottom of the window. The six under the window itself will blow straight up and the two on either end will be angled in to try to keep everything in motion. I can sequence the operation of all the fans in various ways to maybe make it interesting -- and responsive to proximity sensors.

I should look something like this from the back:

Now I have to internet-order more stuff. It's amazing how hard it is to find art supplies Santa Fe.

No comments:

Post a Comment