Monday, October 15, 2018

Variations Too -- getting it up


Having done all the previously described hacking and hewing of robot arms, I finally assembled them and cut out a mounting bracket to hold the lowest and largest of the motors. Since the base motor only has to travel 180 degrees I dispensed with gearing and invented an inline bushing support. This is fortunate because the lower motor also has a completely different spline, for which the included wheel is the only mating component I could find -- I really am not sure what these people are thinking, but I guess the whole after-market of robot builders was not on their radar when the servo motor folks were planning their product lines.

For the lower arm support I used a bronze bushing centered on the motor wheel and inserted through the arm which is sandwiched to the wheel. The wheel is then bolted onto the motor spline. A short axle inserted into the bushing supports the arm and is screwed to the motor mount U bracket in a manner that allows a bit of fiddling to get everything centered. And speaking of centering to start with ... I got the spline-wheel centered and bored a 3/8" indent into which I could locate the end of the bushing, which was then press fit through the whole sandwich.

Then I re-re-hacked an Arduino servo motor driving program I had from a previous attempt -- with the MeArm, which is a nice design but unfortunately both under-powered and under-whelming. But have a look anyway:

https://shop.mime.co.uk/collections/mearm

I clamped the whole thing down on the workbench and fired it up. And. It kinda works! But it was too flimsy with five arms, so the final product uses only four. Here's the first recorded run:


This means that I'm going to have to find something else to waste $200 on in order to be really disappointed.

Maybe next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment