Friday, October 19, 2018

Variations Too -- taxonomic exegesis

Lemme take a little timeout here to explain my naming scheme.

As I mentioned earlier, the ur-text for all this was my proposal for an installation called Variations For, which was a pun on the 1960s John Cage piece Variations IV. Get it? Ha. Ha.

Failing to make headway on that, for lack of tens of thousands of dollars and square feet to house and feed Industrial Robots, I realized that I might be able to make my own set of simpler robot arms along the lines of the sketch in the first of these blog entries. That also faltered along technical and financial lines.

Recently, working on reducing my horizons, it occurred that I might at least be able to make ONE damn robot arm and get it to do something. Thus came to be Variations Too. You may have realized this is a pun on Two, as well, as meaning, Also. Ha. Ha.

So. Should VToo work, I will have a base model from which to construct four more. (For, more, still with me? Ha. Ha.) And that will be the basis for developing the real idea of making a set of robots that choreograph a dance together under their own direction -- even if it is still in only two dimensions. That version I would call Variations 3.20, because it is the first 80% of Variations For, where the last 80% is "just" programming the industrial robots. That's an engineering joke. Ha. Ha.

Anyway.... Next time, some more about the final construction.

No comments:

Post a Comment