Thursday, January 30, 2014

walkabout day 15

Carrillo. Cabrillo. Or was it Castillo? I didn't even want to try to get the gdm-tablet-maps-program to pronounce them. But I got off the highway at the wrong one and then the gdm-tablet-maps-program hard-crashed the gdm-tablet -- the power switch didn't even work, but fortunately the Googlers knew their program sucked eggs most of the time and put in a watchdog timer that pops up to ask if you would like to End the Program or Wait another 5 minutes to see if it might do something. I found my way "home", finally, using my mechanical compass and brief sightings of the ocean.

Anyway, prior to this excitement, I took a trip up the gorgeous highway 154 to the Cold Springs Tavern for lunch and then further up the testicle shrinking 1 or sometimes 1-1/2 lane multi-switchbacked Painted Cave Road to way past the Chumash Painted Cave and then partially back down the testicle shrinking multi-switchbacked Road to the actual Cave. Which was a bit of a disappointment:

Chumash Painted Cave -- main entrance, no fee required
Chumash Painted Cave -- cave paintings, using my gdm-tablet-'flash' option
It sure didn't look like Art & Place but at least it was only a few feet from the road. Their photographer probably had a gate key. I missed it on the way up because there was another tourist's SUV occupying the Chumash Painted Cave State Park parking area that would have normally been marked as the downhill turnout lane.

It was on the return leg that I got all my Spanish  r's, b's, and s's mixed up and took the wrong Santa Barbara exit.

Then I had an hour to kill before going to the SB Maker Space meeting whereby I hoped that:
  1. I wouldn't have to use the gdm-tablet-maps-program;
  2. I would remember which of the r,b,or,s's I wanted on the way back -- for record it's Castillo
And speaking of the gdm-tablet, I copied my Walker code over just in case I wanted to show it to someone and it turns out that, even though the files are good-old-plain-text there appears to be no way to convince the gdm-tablet to think of them as such because everything is app oriented and I don't have a code-viewing-app that has registered itself to view them. As per standard practice there are about a thousand google-hits for "android file association" and the only one that seems to address my problem references an app which no longer has the menu option I (might) need to use.

And speaking of the SB Maker Space. There was no meeting scheduled, even though on Monday I told the main guy that Thursday looked like a good night to visit because there was a regularly scheduled meeting, and he agreed. But I got a tour from a 3d printer enthusiast who had to apologize for the inaccuracy of his 3d printed motor mounts on his homemade 3d printer. They do have three milling machines of various sizes but my 3d guy was afraid to use any of them.

For dinner I thought I would assuage my grief with one last dose of happy-hour oysters, only to find that the Enterprise Fish Co bar seating area was packed to over-flowing with revelers. So I paid a 50% premium for a lesser tuna crostini at the Blue Tavern which, since I discovered it last week, has made it onto the gdm-tablet-map-program map. If it hasn't already crashed.

No comments:

Post a Comment