Monday, January 20, 2014

walkabout day 5

Today, January 20, 2014, I started the actual Walk part of my About in Downtown Lost Angels. Up and down and across and back. If I'd managed to get the Fitbit(TM) wristlet before embarking I would know exactly how many miles I had failed to access prior to whatever firmware errors it had in store.

There are many sites to see and with small thanks to my Android Maps app I saw a few -- from a 3d mural made of switching components on the side of the local ATT headquarters to Gehry's Disney Mouse Performing Arts Center -- the area is chockablock with whatever%forthearts installations. Citibank is rife with contributions (I need an attribution here, the bartender overlooking an adjacent piece had never even noticed that it was there, so the local populace is less than informed):

Is all public sculpture phallic?
But a couple blocks later, smack up to the Angle's Flight attraction is this little open-to-all area where the po-lice are probably less likely to roust you from Occupying(TM) the less verdant lawnscapes:


Right below the Flight is the Bradbury Building splenditity and the Grand Central Market -- I include a gratituitous photo of the market for Kitty:


So, in the end, as a reward for a long walk, I got some OK sushi at Sushi Gen in little Tokoyo and found a copy of Runaway Bunny at The Last Bookstore which is a pretty swell place at 5th and Spring:

Of course the moral of the  story is: You can never escape your MOTHER.
I also stumbled on a PRINTED map of the area containing points of interest clearly marked with easy to read street names:

Map that didn't crash every time I turned it over.

And on the way back "home" I found another public sculpture that fully expresses my excitement about the ten minutes of attempted tablet-camera-button-pushing that it took to capture:

again...attribution needed

No comments:

Post a Comment