Monday, January 20, 2014

walkabout day 4

Sunday Mass.

At the church my Father pretty much built. They have a new (female) priest which probably would have my Dad spinning if he hadn't been cremated, but she was thrilled to meet me and said she thought he would have adjusted with the times. Maybe. Or maybe too much has changed.

But a lot is the same. Much of his decorating touch remains. Many of his mosaics are still prominent. The damn reception hall is named after him. However they remodeled my old bedroom out of existence. I met a few of my parents old friends, said polite hellos to whomever, had some bad coffee and cake, and went on my way.

My way led me past the cemetery while I was looking for a drive-through car-wash.... I had completely forgotten that I should make a visit... Willful ignorance I suppose. So I got some of their favorite, roses, and somehow found the marker after a 10 year absence:
The mortuary had forgotten to add my Dad's end date and by the time I pinged them to fix it the year had advanced but no one told the stone carver, so he seems to have lived a year longer than he did...

My mother's parents are just 13 rows up in the same section as well:

Then. Filial duty fulfilled I hi-balled on Hwy 60 into Los Angeles. Had a nice walk/snack with Brian and Elif et fil, and checked into my downtown "Hotel". It's actually a "Motel" but for price and location not too shabby. I can walk a half-mile to what may become my favorite restaurant, The Water Grill, where they have....wait for it....an oyster bar.

I still can't get the Android tablet to cooperate. It seems to sense what I would like to do and make it either impossible or improbable.

No comments:

Post a Comment