Tuesday, January 21, 2014

walkabout day 6

...the Great Man makes the journey down Wilshire Blvd on the LAMetro 20...

Yup. Took the bus. Which is a little problematic because nothing actually tells you how much it will cost or how to pay for taking it from downtown to Fairfax Ave. My ([nearlyl]useless) tablet was able to tell me the location of the downtown bus stop, but didn't bother to mention that there was an express line just a block further up the street. So I took the local -- a step back to a time when dinosaurs roamed the earth looking for the Tar Pits.

In any case I got to LACMA with time to spare. I even gave location advice to an elderly woman who had wished to exit at the only -- long past -- street name I remembered, all the while hoping that I myself wasn't already long past Fairfax Ave in a mistaken Journada del Muerto de Alma to Santa Monica.

At LACMA I met up with my old college friend Cynthia and explained Minimalism -- in a Minimal way -- as we took in the Turrell Retrospective. The show was a nice balance of history, exposition, and future hope that the Roden Crater will be finished before JT transends this earthly plain. Being a minimal Minimalist my favorite was the first, in cardinal and ordinal order (which was projected simultaneously last fall at the Goog):

Turrell, Afrum (White)), 1966
A damned swell use of materials.

Plus, at the entrance to the museum complex, Lost Angels' Lighting Field ripost -- with unspoken palm trees -- to de Maria's NM original:

Burden, Urban Light, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment